History and Purpose
The Teen Parent Unit, on the Makoura College premises, was established in 2002. It is for teen parents or pregnant teenagers who have had their education interrupted by parenthood. It is a chance to reach their educational goals whilst entering parenthood.
The aim of the Wairarapa Teen Parent Unit is to enable teen parents and pregnant teenagers, aged 19yrs or younger, to continue their education.
- The Unit is open from 9am -3pm during college terms
- It is based on the grounds of Makoura College
- The Makoura Community Early Childhood Centre is next door and has spaces for TPU children
- TPU incorporates a supportive environment for both academic and social growth
- Course and childcare costs are usually funded through WINZ
- Full support is given to the mother and child
- operates in a large working space
- has qualified teaching staff
- transports students and infants around Masterton in our own vans
- has full kitchen facilities with lunch being provided each day
- offers students study options at any level of the curriculum
- is a place where all support services can access the mother along with the child
How to enquire?
Contact the Teen Parent Unit Manager,
Landline: 06 377 3491
Mobile: 027 406 9623